Wholegrain porridge is also called “fashioned porridge”. This sumptuous dish owes its sweet taste to its milk and nutty flavor. Craving a distinct and savory breakfast? Opt for wholegrain porridge!
Let’s make this recipe!
- 1 Cinnamon stick
- 2 tablespoonfuls of ground flax
- 1/4 cup grains
- 2 tablespoonful of coconut oil
- 3/4 cup of water
- 1/4 cup of milk
- 1/3 cup of fruits
- 1 tablespoonful of honey
- Soak grains for some hours.
- Rinse the grains thoroughly with clean water.
- Get your pot ready and pour in some water. Add in your coconut oil, grains, cinnamon stick, and fruits.
- Boil for some minutes and then reduce your cooker’s temperature to a simmer.
- Cook until the grains are tender, add in some milk. At this stage, your porridge is almost ready.
- Pour the tender grains into a bowl and mix with the ground flax. Garnish with nuts.
- Your wholegrain porridge is already set. You can serve it with any of these sweeteners; honey, date paste, and mashed bananas, etc.
Why should I soak whole grains meant for porridge?
Wholegrain porridge is a nutritious and healthy food that should be included in your daily meal plan.
However, you must healthily prepare this meal to gain all its nutrients.
There’s a step you should never leave out when preparing your whole grain porridge, and that’s soaking your grains.
Why is soaking important? Anti-nutrients like phytic acid are present in wholegrain, which makes it difficult to digest unless it is softened.
Thus, whole grains can only soften when you soak them in water for a while. After soaking those grains for some hours, it would be rendered porous. This makes digestion easier.
More so, soaking also helps to break down gluten. Gluten is a hard-to-digest protein found in grains such as wheat, rye and barley.
Best whole grains for porridge
You can use any type of grain to prepare your porridge. However, to get a taste to die for, go with any of these options!
Here is a list of the best whole grains for porridge:
Kamut Berries are chewy, butter-flavored whole grains that will always leave your porridge with a luscious taste. It’s a rich source of fiber and minerals like iron, selenium, magnesium, etc
Moreover, Kamut Berries are usually hard-textured. This means you may have to soak them overnight before making your porridge.
Gluten-free brown rice
Do you crave a wholegrain porridge dish with a savory taste and delicious look? Then use gluten-free brown rice.
Brown rice gives your porridge a colorful look. Besides its flavor and texture, brown rice is also healthy.
Brown rice is rich in antioxidants, manganese, and fiber. Your system needs these nutrients to thrive!
Barley is unique because of its nutty texture and sweet flavor. This makes it one of the perfect whole grains you can use for your wholegrain porridge recipe.
You can use barley grits, pearl barley, hull-less barley, and many others to make your wholegrain porridge.
Are you looking for the easiest whole grains to make your wholegrain porridge breakfast? Quinoa is here for you!
Quinoa is soft and irresistibly chewy. This makes it easy to consume.
Go for Freekeh!
Freekeh or farik is a cereal food made from green durum wheat that is roasted and rubbed to create its flavor. It is an ancient dish derived from Levantine and North African cuisines.
This green-brown grain is a delicious addition to soups, stews, salads, and porridges!
Freekeh is a versatile grain, most especially when cracked. It is rich in calcium, zinc, and many other minerals your body needs.
Nutritional benefits of wholegrain porridge
Wholegrain porridge comes with a lot more benefits than you can ever imagine. They are highly nutritious and healthy foods!
Here are some nutritional benefits you can derive from consuming whole grain porridge.
Whole grains are rich in antioxidants
Antioxidants like avenanthramides and ferulic acid, beneficial to your health, are present in whole grains. These antioxidants accelerate blood flow. Avenanthramides may help lower blood pressure levels by increasing the production of nitric oxide. This gas molecule helps dilate blood vessels and leads to better blood flow.
It is rich in beta-glucans
Wholegrain porridge is a superb source of soluble fibers, like beta-glucans. Beta-glucans improve your health by lowering your cholesterol level.
The health benefits of beta-glucan fiber include:
- Reduced LDL and total cholesterol levels
- Reduced blood sugar and insulin response Increased feeling of fullness
- Increased growth of good bacteria in the digestive tract.
Do you want a healthy dish that will supply the essential nutrients your body craves? Go for wholegrain porridge! It’s a good source of magnesium, manganese, iron, calcium, zinc, and many other minerals.
- Try these fun and easy to make flour recipes: Almond buns, almond frangipane cake and almond sweet cream pie.
- Want a homemade recipe that is super sweet and easy to prepare? Try this Almond meringue cookies recipe
- This Almond dacquoise cake is slightly crispy on the outside, and very soft, and a bit chewy from the inside, just like a sponge cake!
- Get creative with raspberry almond tart, bob evans peanut butter pie, almond delight cake & white chocolate peanut butter cups?